Computer Anti-theft Plates (S.T.O.P)
The S.T.O.P. Plate program is offered as a service by the UCPD, through the CSO Programs, as a crime reduction initiative. Laptop theft, and the theft of other highly portable and easily re-sellable electronic items, is one of the most persistent crime threats on campus. By encouraging the use of theft deterrent systems like the S.T.O.P. program, UCPD hopes to reduce the number of thefts on campus and discourage opportunistic laptop thieves.
- A security plate is sealed to the case (requiring up to 800 pounds of force to remove). The plate bears a unique ID number, a warning message and an 800 number to call for ownership verification and anti-theft information.
- An indelible tattoo underneath the plate is automatically chemically etched into the case when sealing the plate.
- A bright red police identifiable warning sticker adds to the deterrence effectiveness.
- If a thief succeeds in removing the plate, a "Stolen Property" message, permanently embedded in the casing, would be revealed with your company ID number and the 800 security phone number.
- This device makes the computer worthless for thieves since it is virtually impossible to resell while also allowing rapid tracking of lost or misplaced equipment.
- Each plate ID number is registered in the S.T.O.P. International database, along with the equipment description (type, brand, model, serial number) and ownership information.
- A simple 800 call to S.T.O.P. quickly verifies the legitimate owner.
- If the marked equipment is lost or misplaced, the finder, who might otherwise be tempted to keep an unmarked machine, calls the 800 telephone number on the plate. S.T.O.P. will then take care of returning the material to the rightful owner.
- In the case of stolen property, immediately upon your reporting to the Anti-Theft Hotline, S.T.O.P. will help you notify the local police, register your property with the F.B.I. and INTERPOL.
- You can receive this protection for only $20.00.
UCLA CSO Programs
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (310) 825-4774
Fax: (310) 206-2550
Mail Code: 136408
601 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1364
Monday – Friday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.Station Hours
24 hours a day, 7 days a week