Community Service Officers
The CSO Programs are a primary outlet for student participation in campus safety at UCLA. CSOs provide evening escorts throughout the year and a campus shuttle service during academic quarters. CSOs patrol or they are stationed in designated campus buildings, all residence halls, parking lots and libraries, acting as the “eyes and ears” of UCPD, and provide a visible deterrent to crime. CSOs are a liaison between students and the UCPD and assist with outreach activities. In 2013, the CSO Programs began overseeing security guard services for the UCLA campus and certain off-campus locations. Working closely with approved private security guard companies, we provide service for departments that require a security presence and for short term special events. Management of security guard services at UCPD allows for customized service for the campus, whether there is a need for police officers, CSOs, security guards, or some combination of the three.
The CSO Program services the UCLA community through several shifts and work details including but not limited to the following:
|Field Escorts||People can receive nighttime escorts from a CSO within the approximate boundaries of Sunset Boulevard to the north, Hilgard to the east, Wilshire to the South, and Veteran to the west.|
|Residence Hall Patrols||CSOs are hired by the residence halls to patrol the dorms every night.|
|Library Shifts||CSOs patrol all campus libraries daily. Also, the larger libraries have posted CSOs at the entrances to observe and monitor foot traffic.|
|Building Securities||CSOs monitor and restrict access to various buildings on campus as well as conduct rounds.|
|Special Events||Often, the CSO Programs are hired by campus departments or private companies to provide various security services for temporary "special" events or activities.|
|Promoted Positions||The evening van drivers, bicycle patrol, Field Training Officers and Supervisors are all promoted positions with certain requirements and training being necessary in order to work the shift|
Field CSO Job Description Duties and Tasks
- Function as additional "eyes and ears" of the UCLA Police Department.
- Serve as a communication link between the campus community and University Police, fire and medical personnel. This includes operation and monitoring of a two-way radio that allows communication with CSOs, Police Officers and other units.
- Provide safety, security and crime deterrence for UCLA students, faculty, staff and visitors through various CSO shifts and details.
- CSOs are required to carry OC/Pepper Spray at all times while on duty.
- Work CSO shifts while strictly adhering to set operational policies and procedures.
- Complete all logs or forms as required for each shift worked.
- Work a minimum of 15 hours per week during academic quarters. This can decrease to 10 hours during dead and finals weeks.
- Maintain high levels of public relations with the campus community. This includes providing answers to any questions about UCLA, directions to various buildings or parking structures and information about CSO Programs services.
UCLA Police Department - CSO
Email: [email protected]
Phone: (310) 825-4774
Fax: (310) 206-2550
Mail Code: 136408
601 Westwood Plaza
Los Angeles, CA 90095-1364
Monday – Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.Saturday Closed